Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Snow, Ice and All Things Nice

This time of year is the worst. The last two weekends, there have been an extreme amount of ice and snow. Saturday, when I was getting ready to leave BRU, I discovered that my car battery was dead. Sunday morning, I got a new car battery installed thanks to the auto skills of Mr. Robert Reynolds (Bob, you are my hero!).

Last week, after the ice storm, I stood in a friend’s front yard and we played in the ice. It had completely frozen the grass and made a most satisfying crunchy/cracking sound when jumping on it. The ice that was frozen on the trees was quite breathtaking as it glistened in the moonlight. It was a great night.

But, the beauty of the ice is now melted away. Much like everything else in life, it doesn’t last.

There is so much drama going on in life right now. Drama with friends, drama with co-workers, drama with health issues, drama, drama, DRAMA!!! How can you tell a friend that he’s being a stupid idiot? Or tell a friend that you agree with someone else’s assessment of a situation? How do you tell someone what you really think of them?

Christmas is next week. I can’t even get excited about it this year. I’ve been working non-stop, it seems, and the craziness of shopping and trying to get things done is sort of sapping the excitement out of it for me this year. I am excited to see the kids’ reactions to the gifts that I’ve picked out for them. Other than that, it seems to be more about tasks and doing, rather than enjoying the season and having fun.

Sometimes, in days like this, I feel like I am drowning, and just waiting for someone to reach out a hand to save me.

A song that sums things up:

I'm standing on a bridge
I'm waiting in the dark
I thought that you'd be here by now
There's nothing but the rain
No footsteps on the ground
I'm listening but there's no sound

Isn't anyone tryin to find me?
Won't somebody come take me home
It's a damn cold night
Trying to figure out this life
Won't you take me by the hand
Take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are
But I... I'm with you
I'm with you

I'm looking for a place
I'm searching for a face
Is anybody here I know
'Cause nothing's going right
And everything's a mess
And no one likes to be alone

Isn't anyone trying to find me?
Won't somebody come take me home
It's a damn cold night
Trying to figure out this life
Won't you take me by the hand
Take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are
But I... I'm with you
I'm with you

Oh why is everything so confusing
Maybe I'm just out of my mind
Yea yea yea

It's a damn cold night
Trying to figure out this life
Won't you take me by the hand
Take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are
But I... I'm with you
I'm with you

Take me by the hand
Take me somewhere new
I don't know who you are
But I... I'm with you
I'm with you

No comments: