Thursday, May 15, 2008

let's get physical

The other day, I had a conversation with a friend about the physical aspects of relationships. The physical aspect of relationships has always been something that’s been a little hard for me to deal with. (For those who know me well, know why. I’m not going to go into it all here.)

Showing affection in a physical way is a tricky thing. I have some friends that I can show affection to openly and without any reservations. And of course, there are the kids. As a preschool teacher, showing love and affection for the kids in my class was practically a job requirement. Showing affection to my kids is easy and natural. There’s nothing better than the bear hugs from Clayton or Punky kisses to make the day better.

Adults are different, especially if it’s a member of the opposite sex. I’m not one to initiate things. I am constantly tense if I am around someone that I would like to show affection to, but can’t. Showing affection can be a tricky thing. There’s always the fear of misreading intentions and signals, or outright rejection. For me, it’s always better if the other person initiates things. Then I will know that it’s safe to show affection back.

They say the human touch is a necessity of life, just as much as breathing, eating and sleeping. Studies have shown that monkeys that are deprived of touch and affection die. If I can’t breathe, I go outside to get more air; if I’m hungry, I eat something; if I am tired, I sleep. Why, then, is it so hard to give and receive the affection that I need to survive?

So let me know if you want me to show you some affection. As GI Joe says: “And knowing is half the battle.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time showing affection also. I don't know why. Nothing weird in my childhood. My parents loved me and showed me affection, but as an adult it's very weird for me. The only one I have no problem giving affection to is my daughter. Anyone else, it's very awkward.

BTW- The GI Joe reference made me laugh. To this day, anytime I hear someone say "now I know," I want to add "and knowing is half the battle." Haha.