Tuesday, February 26, 2008

the perfect guy

A while ago, a friend asked me what I was looking for in a guy. I think it’s hard to pin down a specific list of attributes. I guess a list could look like this: tall, dark, handsome, age 30, responds to the name Orlando Bloom, looks great in elf ears and pirate gear…….

Seriously though, I don’t know how to describe it. I guess it would almost be easier to list the things that I would like to think that my ideal mate would do/say/act, but with the caveat that this entire list could be thrown out the window at any time…especially if it meant marrying Orlando Bloom.

1. I like guys that are true gentleman. I don’t believe that chivalry is dead. No matter what a woman says about being equal…the man should open the door, hang the shelves, and kill the bugs. Especially the killing of bugs. I didn’t bathe for three days once because a spider had taken up residence in my shower.

2. I like guys that are a little “bad”. I’m a “good” girl, and I like “good” boys. But I also have a bit of a “naughty” streak to me, and I like guys that can appreciate that for what it is. I like watching the occasional British TV show that isn’t exactly the most wholesome, or blare death metal from the 1980s when I’m in a bad mood. I worked in an all-male sports department for several years…I’ve heard all the dirty jokes there are, and then some. I am innocent and naïve in a lot of ways, and yet, it takes a lot to shock me. I like a guy that can be a bit wicked sometimes behind closed doors….it makes him human as well.

3. I like guys that pay attention to the little things. Not to sound cliché...but leave me a note on my desk, or shoot me an email/text message just because. Don’t disappear for a week or so. Put a daisy on my desk at work when you know I’m about to have a long/hard day. Put your arm around me in the movie theater, or hold my hand. Simple things can say a lot.

Most of all, though, I just want someone who loves me. That’s really all it boils down to. Someone who just wants to be with me. In the end, that’s all I really need.

And if he answered to the name Orlando Bloom or Joe Cole, that would be alright, too.

No comments: