Friday, February 29, 2008

leap day traditions

Today is Leap Day. According to Irish tradition, it is the only day that it is permissible for a woman to ask a man to marry her. According to legend, Brigid of Kildare complained to St. Patrick in the 5th Century that it was unfair to make a woman wait for a proposal, and asked that a woman should be allowed to do so. He agreed to allow it once every 7 years, but she talked him down to once every four years, on Leap Day.

In 1288, Queen Margaret of Scotland made it against the law for a man to refuse a woman's proposal. If he did, a heavy fine of either a kiss, a pound (which was a lot of money back then) or a silk gown was to be paid to the woman.

Let's see...I'm Irish. And I can only do this once every four years. If I don't act today, I'll have to wait until 2012...by then, I'll be 35! HOLY CRAP! Is that right?!? Who's going to say yes to a 35-year-old?

So, I guess I have to act today. Who should I ask?? I had contemplated flying to London and hunting down Orlando Bloom. Stateside, perhaps the state treasurer, Alexi G. (He's rather good-looking). Any others???

Better yet, maybe I'll just ask someone out on a date. Baby steps. Hmmm.....the mind is working now......

If you could ask anyone in the world, with a guaranteed yes, who would it be? Anyone.......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John Krasinski!! :)